I don’t know a lot about sound and music but they have a lot of influence on me. Last week’s class made me question how sound works, how our brains register different sounds and how they can influence us. After last week’s class on sound I went down a rabbit hole.
First – “Everything You Should Know About Sound”
I feel your vocal cords vibrating
- “The most important kind of human communication happens when our brains send information to other brains through complex patterns of air pressure waves. Have you ever stopped and thought about how incredible that is?” – https://waitbutwhy.com/2016/03/sound.html
Second – Musician Explains One Concept in 5 Levels of Difficulty (Harmony)
How is there so much harmony? What are we really hearing?
Third – Simple Waveforms Combined
Look at those weird patterns
Fourth – Online Tone Generator
Playing different notes that sound unfamiliar
… and so on.
At this point I know I wanted to work with sound.
- body synth – https://creatability.withgoogle.com/body-synth/
what if you and your movement become the note?
- webcam sequencer – https://jeonghopark.github.io/scanseqjs/
what is this hidden meaning my face is creating?
- slider dance – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMsD3IigG7g&t=646s
how about switch roles with slides? let the sound turn the slides? and we turn the sound?
- self text fill – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Fx1yq3A8M
play with lyrics?
- petri dish – https://bit.ly/2OrDPQm
have lyrics bouncing off according to the beat?
make lyrics explode and rejoin?
- bendy grid – https://doseofted.com/project/aesthetic/app.htm?settings=1g54a1aWaFd11a10a176a1t48a2a2aWaBbGF68CFFaFa80a208a2mAesthetic.46.
this connotes the sense of wavy well? this is similar to what I see in my head.
- word synth – https://creatability.withgoogle.com/word-synth/
try matching words with pitch?
Source of materials
- lyrics – https://apiseeds.com/documentation/lyrics
- particle system – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdgiqMkFygc&t
- algorithmic botany – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWoJgHFYWxY&t
Other things I might want to explore
- Algorithmic patterns that exist in nature… might they be related to sound? … What if a value in a pattern is incremented in the same way a note does?
- What if we can reach inside a wave and touch a note? Bend a wave? But make the visual stay… like a harp but with visuals?
- Is there something that is beautifully out of proportion… since our brains just want patterns?
- When is something hypnotic vs. meditative?
A sketch I made with lyrics
Who’s it for?
Mostly myself … and non-musicians who enjoy music/sound and want to learn how they work.
How will people experience it? Is it interactive?
Is it practical? No. Is it for fun? Yes. Is it emotional? Maybe. Is it to provoke something? Yes… Question the sounds… Seek for nuances in sounds… Observe it more.