Final Project Update

This week I continued to experiment with different materials, composition of light and light sources.

Materials:

  • black and white acrylic – I decided to use matte white acrylic for the main surface because it presents shadow best and use black opaque acrylic around the side to absorb the leaked shadows
  • black elastic band (Canal Rubber) – after a few experiments with ribbons, wires, strings and various shapes and sizes of elastic bands, I chose black square elastic band for the piece because it provided the most crisp shadows

Composition of light:

  • I decided to use 4 lights in 4 corners because it provided the most interesting shadow compositions
  • I decided to only have the strings in one direction (horizontal) to highlight the differences in shadows and to keep the aesthetic neat and clean

Light source:

  • After trying the chip on board light and the high power LED light, I decided to go with the high power LED because it was more direct thus provided better shadows and lighting for the piece

Prototyping progress:

IMG_2605

IMG_2604

IMG_2584 copy

(testing the black frame to eliminate leaking shadows)

IMG_2576 copy

(testing the direction of light)

E19C71BB-8EF9-4B7E-BB7B-F5D82060C50F

(photos of the piece lit from different corners using an iphone flashlight)

E6A8A6FC-B633-4AEE-85E4-61A064F459CA

(photos of the piece lit from different corners using an iphone flashlight)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s